Expandable Surprise Card
REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE!
Upcycle an Anathoth Farm pottle into a creative card that is sure to bring a smile to Dad’s face this Father’s Day.
What you need:
- White Card
- Card in at least 5 colours
- Glue stick
- About 40cm of Hessian trim
- Hot glue gun (take care when using this)
- Pen knife (take care when using this)
- A printout of the word ‘DAD’
- A photo of your Dad or a drawing of him
- Small strip of hessian or fabric big enough to wrap around the pottle
How to make an Expandable Surprise Card:
- Firstly, make sure your pottle is completely clean and dry. Remove the label by gently peeling it off from the corner (this works for the jam pots, but not the chutney pots as the labels are affixed in a different way).
- Create your circles. Use a protractor to measure 6.5cm diameter for each circle – you’ll need 10 out of the white card, and 12-14 in any other colours you like. Cut them out with scissors.
- Take three of the coloured circles and transfer the D A D letters onto them. You can do this by scribbling on the back of the letters with a soft pencil, then tracing them hard onto the coloured circles. Cut these out with a pen knife – keep the letter and the outline.
- Glue your coloured circles onto your white card. Now it’s time to decorate! Decide which cards will show on each side – you’ll have five of each. Paste the outline of the DAD letters onto another piece of coloured card. You can also use pinking shears and a heart hole punch to create different shapes. Include some photos and a few drawings for a personal touch! On the other side, write a personal message for Dad.
- Now, glue the circles to the hessian trim on the white side with a hot glue gun (take care!), leaving about 8cm at either end. Sandwich the trim with another circle. Leave a small gap in between each circle so they can fold over on each other.
- Glue the end of the hessian to the bottom of the pottle with a hot glue gun, and the other end to the lid. Fold them over on to each other and put inside the pottle. Decorate the outside of the pottle by gluing down a piece of fabric (we used hessian) and then glue down the letters you had cut earlier.
- Surprise Dad on Father’s Day!