Apricot Jam Pulled Pork
- 1.3-1.5kg pork shoulder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup Anathoth Farm Apricot Jam
- ½ Tbsp cayenne pepper
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ onion, sliced
BACK TO RECIPES
- Remove the skin from the pork shoulder and trim off most of the fat (you don’t want to get rid of it all because it keeps the meat moist).
- Mix chicken stock, apple cider vinegar and apricot jam in a bowl.
- In another bowl mix the cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, mustard powder and paprika to make the dry rub.
- Pour half of the chicken stock mixture into the slow cooker and scatter the onions over the bottom.
- Rub the dry rub all over the pork and sit the pork on top of the onions.
- Pour the rest of the chicken stock mixture over the pork.
- Set the slow cooker on LOW and cook for 8-9 hours or till the pork meat easily pulls apart with a fork. Towards the last hour, turn the pork over so the top part sits in the liquid.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and using two forks, shred the meat. Spoon the liquid from the slow cooker over the meat till it’s all submerged. This will keep the meat moist.
- Serve in bread rolls with coleslaw or even on rice as a one-bowl meal.