Beetroot & Roast Vegetable CalzonePRINT RECIPE
Calzones are a twist on your standard pizza where all the goodies are on the inside. Beetroot Chutney is so versatile – try with tomato, feta & spinach, or potato rosemary & parmesan cheese. These pockets of goodness would make perfect lunchbox fillers as well as a delicious dinner option.Photo & Recipe by Jana @the_macpherson_diaries
INGREDIENTSPizza Dough (bread maker version)
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups high grade flour
- 1 Tbsp surebake yeast
- 8 Tbsp Anathoth Farm Chutney
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 cups roasted vegetables (we used kumara, zucchini & red onion)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- herbs, optional
METHODTo Make Pizza Dough
- Place all ingredients, in the order noted above, into bread maker pan. Put on dough cycle.
- Once finished, tip dough out onto a floured surface. Punch down dough and divide into 6 (or 8 if you want smaller calzones). Form each piece into a ball and place on a plate or tray to rise. Cover with a tea-towel and let the dough double in size somewhere warm for around 40 minutes.
To Make Calzone Pizza
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan bake.
- Take pizza dough balls and roll into circles approximately the size of a side plate.
- Spread half of each pizza dough round with a tablespoon of your favourite Anathoth Farm Chutney. Top with roast vegetables and approx 2 tablespoons of grated cheese.
- Fold dough over the contents to make half circles. Pinch the edges together with fingertips and crimp with a fork.
- Brush egg over the top of the pastry.
- With a sharp knife cut 3 large slits in the top, this lets the steam out while cooking.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!