Boysenberry & Hazelnut FriandsPRINT RECIPE
- If you have friand tins the recipe makes 12, regular muffin tins (makes 12) or mini muffin (makes 18).
- Friands are best just barely warm from the oven, but will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- butter for greasing
- 125g butter
- 60g + 40g chopped hazelnuts
- 200g icing sugar
- 90g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 60g ground almonds
- 5 egg whites
- 3-4 Tbsp Anathoth Farm Boysenberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 180ºC fan, 200ºC conventional.
- Grease friand pans or muffin tins.
- Melt butter over a gentle heat, keep heating until the butter turns golden brown and smells wonderfully nutty and caramelly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place 60g hazelnuts and icing sugar into a food processor and blitz until nuts are finely ground. Tip into a mixing bowl.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl with hazelnuts and sugar. Add the ground almonds.
- Lightly whisk egg whites until foamy then add to the dry ingredients with the cooled browned butter. Whisk until just combined.
- Fill the friand tins or muffin pan 2/3 full, dot the surface with jam, taking care that it doesn't touch the tin, then sprinkle with the 40g chopped hazelnuts
- Bake for 25 minutes (friand tins) or 15 minutes (mini muffin tins) until the edges are golden and the cakes are just set in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and immediately turn out onto a cooling rack.