Double Decker Berry & Chia French ToastPRINT RECIPE
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
This recipe is doubly delicious served with Maple Chia Crunch:
Ingredients: 2 Tbsp chia seeds, 1 Tbsp maple syrup
Method: Heat a small frying pan over a medium/high heat and cook the chia, stirring for one minute. Add maple syrup and cook for about two minutes until darkening round the edges, stirring constantly. Use a knife to scrape off any of the chia stuck to your stirrer so it all gets cooked. Spread on non-stick baking paper and cool to harden. Break into small pieces or whizz in a small food processor and store in an airtight container if not using immediately.
- 100ml milk or single cream
- 4 small eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 4 thick slices of soft bread
- 4 Tbsp Anathoth Farm Berries & Chia Seed preserve
- 1 Tbsp plain oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 Tbsp mascarpone cheese
- fresh berries or other fruit, to serve
- Whisk together milk or cream, eggs, salt and maple syrup in a flat baking dish or plate that would hold both sandwiches.
- Spread two pieces of bread with Berries & Chia Seed preserve and sandwich together with the other pieces.
- In a small bowl gently fold together mascarpone and remaining preserve.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the sandwiched bread to the egg mixture and leave to soak in for about 3-4 minutes, turning once. Lift the slices out of the egg and place in the frying pan and cook each side until golden.
- Place on plates and top with a dollop of mascarpone and a sprinkle of Maple Chia Crunch. Serve with fresh berries or other fruit if you like.