Doughnuts with berries and chiaPRINT RECIPE
Home baking is the ultimate in comfort, wouldn’t you agree? So surely a home-made doughnut, filled with Anathoth Farm Berry with Chia Preserve, and dusted with icing sugar is like a big warm hug. While this recipe does take a while because of the proving time, it’s not difficult and you don’t need a mixer.
Recipe & Photo by Jana @the_macpherson_diaries
- 3 ¼ cups white flour
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 100 grams butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- Neutral oil to deep fry, I used canola oil
- 200 grams Anathoth Farm Berry with Chia preserve
- Icing sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, yeast and sugar.
- Make a well in the centre and mix in milk, butter and egg until dough starts to come together, it can be sticky.
- On a well-floured surface, knead until smooth.
- Place dough into a greased bowl, cover and leave to prove for 90 mins or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and knead again on a floured surface for 2 mins, or until smooth.
- With a rolling pin, roll out until 1 cm thick. Then leave the dough to relax for 2 mins before touching it again.
- Take a 7cm round cutter and cut out rounds of dough. (For these donuts, don’t cut out the centres as we will be filling them with jam later.)
- Place rounds of dough on a lined baking tray. Set aside to prove again for 30 mins.
- In a large pot, add your oil and deep fry your doughnuts for around 1 minute each side, or until golden. Do a test one first and make sure it is cooked nicely.
- Rest the cooked doughnuts on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Once cool enough to handle, take a piping bag and fill with jam, insert the nozzle into the side of the doughnut and pipe in some jam.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.