Hot Cross Bun Berry PuddingPRINT RECIPE
Hot Cross Buns are given an entire new life by being soaked and then cooked, in custard. Think, bready, creamy, spiced goodness. Now hit that with some berry jam and raspberries, the balance is incredible!
Recipe & Photo by Jana @the_macpherson_diaries
- 6 Hot Cross Buns (or 8 mini size buns)
- 50g butter
- ½ cup Anathoth Jam (we used Berries & Chia Seed Preserve)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
- icing sugar, optional for dusting once cooked
- Preheat oven to 180°C degrees. Grease the sides of a baking dish.
- Cut buns in half. Butter the tops and spread with jam on the bottoms.
- Sandwich back together slightly askew so you can see some of the jam bottoms poking out, then place into the baking dish overlapping a little.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and sugar. Whisk together, then pour mixture over the buns and leave to soak for 15-30 mins. While soaking, spoon some of the custard over the bun tops that are not emerged in the mix.
- Toss the raspberries over the buns and dot with remaining jam.
- Cook for 40 – 50 minutes until custard is set.
- Serve with cream or ice cream and dust with icing sugar.