Jam DoughnutsPRINT RECIPE
- 500g high grade flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 40g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 x 7g sachets instant yeast
- 10g salt
- 150ml warm milk
- 130ml water
- 2L vegetable oil for deep frying
- 250g sugar, for rolling
- 1 pot Anathoth Farm Strawberry Jam (or your favourite flavour)
- 1 lemon, rind only optional
- To make the dough, place all the dough ingredients in a large bowl, holding back about 40ml of water. Combine with your hands until the dough has come together and formed.
- Slowly add the remaining 40ml of water to the dough and knead in bowl, or using a stand mixer with dough hook attachment for about 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl, cover with a damp cotton tea towel, leave in a warm place and leave to double in size for an hour.
- Tip the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface, and knock it back by kneading it a few times.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Place all balls onto a lined baking tray and allow to rise for an hour.
- Preheat a deep fryer, filled with vegetable oil, to 180°C.
- Gently lower each doughnut into the oil, cooking each side for about five minutes or until golden brown. Remove the doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon and immediately roll in sugar. Set aside and leave to cool.
- When doughnuts are completely cool, using a small, sharp, knife make a cut into the top of doughnut, making sure you reach the centre.
- Spoon some of the Strawberry Jam into a piping bag, and pipe the filling generosity into the doughnut. Top with lemon rind if desired.