Lemon Curd Mille FeuillePRINT RECIPE
Recipe and Image by Sophie Hansen @locallovely
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Lemon Curd Mille Feuille: cooked puff pastry sheets sandwiched with Creme Patissiere and Lemon Curd filling! A pretty and delicious dessert. The raspberries and gold dust are completely optional but fun (edible gold dust is available at specialty cooking stores).
Make up the different elements in advance, then right before serving, assemble and pop on a pretty stand or platter.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 1 pot Anathoth Farm Lemon Curd
- 1 punnet raspberries, optional to garnish
- 1 tsp edible gold dust, optional to garnish
METHODFor the Creme Patissiere:
- Place milk in a small saucepan. Split the vanilla bean right down the middle and scrape the seeds into the milk, pop the beans in there as well. Bring just to boiling point and remove from heat. Set aside to infuse for 15-30 minutes.
- Reheat vanilla milk. Meanwhile whisk egg, sugar and cornflour together in another bowl until pale. Pour a little of the hot vanilla milk into the egg mixture and whisk. Gradually add remaining vanilla milk, whisking all the time. Wash and dry the saucepan, return the milk/egg mixture to it and place over low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for five minutes or until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Pour into a jar and cover with plastic wrap to avoid a ‘skin’ forming on the custard’s surface. Pop in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Lay the thawed pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and cut into nine rectangles, approx 5cm wide and 10-15cm long.
- Place pastry strips on the prepared baking tray, leaving a little space between each one. Brush with the beaten egg and pop in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden and puffed up.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fold the cream and creme patissiere together.
- Take one piece of the cooked pastry and spread with a little of the cream mixture, then top with another piece of pastry, spread this with a good amount of lemon curd.
- Top with a final piece and a little more cream mixture. Dot with raspberries and finish with a little sprinkle of the edible gold dust.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and mixture. Serve immediately.