Lemon Mascarpone Pound CakePRINT RECIPE
Makes: 12 mini cakes
The bright citrusy notes in this cake, along with the light acidity from the mascarpone, turns a classic dense pound cake into something lighter and more refreshing. To add some of the tang and moisture back into the cake, we’ve brushed them with some lemon syrup fresh out of the oven.
Texture wise, this cake has that crispy crackling golden exterior which gives way to a dense but almost creamy interior.
Things to note:
- It is key not to over-beat the mixture as beating too much air into it may result in the cake being too light and drying out as it bakes.
- The recipe of the lemon syrup is enough for all 12 cakes so be sure to use it all. The cake can absorb all the liquid so don’t be shy.
- To store the cakes, you can fill them, frost them and keep them at room temperature for up to a day or store in the fridge. Return them to room temperature before serving. Please note that the crust will naturally lose its crunch once it is frosted.
- butter, to grease tins
- flour, to dust
- 260g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 265g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 75g mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 265g all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp boiling water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 175g mascarpone
- 150g Anathoth Farm Lemon Curd
METHODTo make the pound cakes:
- Lightly butter a 12 hole cupcake tin then lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- Rub sugar, salt and lemon zest in a mixing bowl with fingers until the sugar looks moist.
- Add unsalted butter and beat for several minutes until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well so they are incorporated well into the batter before adding the next egg. Add mascarpone and vanilla extract and whisk until just combined.
- Beat for several more minutes until mixture looks lighter in colour.
- Mix flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl and add it to your butter mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Distribute batter into the 12 holes (you should have enough for just 12 cakes).
- Bake at 180°C for 22-24 mins until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Immediately brush with lemon syrup (see recipe below)
- Let cool in the tin for 5 mins before removing and letting them cool fully on a wire rack.
- Use a knife to cut a small hole in each of the cakes. Fill with lemon curd and cover back over with the cooked cake.
- Top with lemon mascarpone frosting (see recipe below) and chopped roasted pistachios.
- Mix caster sugar with boiling water until sugar has dissolved.
- Add lemon juice and set aside until needed.
- Whisk both ingredients together until smooth and holds a soft peak.