Marmalade Breakfast LoafPRINT RECIPE
Makes: 1 loaf
A tasty, homemade breakfast loaf is delicious for breakfast. Packed with seeds, nuts and marmalade, it’s made with marmalade lovers in mind!
- 150g high-grade flour, plus 4 Tbsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 75g wholemeal flour
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 200ml warm water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp linseeds or flaxseeds
- ½ cup Seville Orange Marmalade or Marmalade with Ginger
- 6 ready to eat dried figs, roughly chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Sift the first measure of flour and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the wholemeal flour.
- Place sugar and dried yeast in a small bowl and pour over 100ml of warm water. Leave in a warm place until the yeast is frothy, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining water and olive oil to the flours. Pour in frothy yeast mixture and mix until dough is smooth and shiny, about 10 minutes. The dough should be slightly sticky, remember for bread dough, ‘the wetter the better’.
- Add rolled oats, seeds, Seville Orange Marmalade, figs and walnuts. Mix until just combined, sprinkling in remaining 4 Tbsp flour. The dough should be soft.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, turn dough over to coat surface in oil, cover with plastic wrap and a clean tea towel and leave in a warm, draught-free spot for 1 hour or until the dough has nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease or line with baking paper a loaf tin (18cm x 10cm x 6cm deep).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured bench top and quickly shape into a loaf. Place in the prepared tin, cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave to prove for 30 minutes.
- Remove plastic wrap and brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with the extra sunflower and sesame seeds.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until well browned and when the bread is tapped on the base it sounds hollow. Place on a wire rack to cool.