Fried Polenta with Caramelised MushroomsPRINT RECIPE
Vegetarian, dairy-free, vegan-friendly
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup polenta (cornmeal)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour, to dust
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, to pan fry
- 12 button mushrooms, quartered
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup Anathoth Farm Caramelised Onion Relish
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- In a saucepan, rapidly whisk in polenta to salted, boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan as it thickens.
- Remove from heat, whisk in 1 Tbsp oil. Coat a baking tin with oil, then distribute cooked polenta into the tin evenly, smoothing the top with the back of a metal spoon. Refrigerate for at least one hour to set.
- Cut polenta into 5 cm fingers or triangles, as you would a baking slice. Carefully remove wedges from baking tin and dust with flour.
- In a hot fry pan add oil, then fry polenta in batches for approx 3-5 minutes each side until golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel and keep polenta pieces on low in the oven while the mushrooms are prepared.
- Panfry mushrooms until golden brown; add cherry tomatoes to the pan along with Caramelised Onion relish. Gently fold together until the tomatoes have wilted and heated through. Add vegetable stock and freshly cracked pepper and allow to simmer and thicken.
- In a serving dish place fried polenta fingers and spoon over caramelised mushrooms. Serve hot.