Slow Cooked Lamb ShanksPRINT RECIPE
Recipe & Photo by Jana @the_macpherson_diaries
- 4- 6 lamb shanks
- 1/3 cup flour
- salt & pepper, to season
- 1 tsp butter
- 300g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup red wine (optional, you can swap this for ½ cup beef stock)
- 1 cup Anathoth Farm Caramelised Onion Relish
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tsp cornflour (optional)
SLOW COOKING THE SHANKS
- In a bowl or a plastic bag, coat lamb shanks in seasoned flour. Shake off any excess.
- Heat a pan over medium heat then add a teaspoon of oil. Brown lamb shanks, not cooking them, just browning on all sides for a minute or so.
- In another pan, melt butter with a splash of extra oil. Add mushrooms and a dash of salt, then sauté until they have softened.
- Once lamb shanks have browned, add red wine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer lamb shanks, sauteed mushroom, red wine, Caramelised Onion Relish and beef stock to the pressure cooker/slow cooker/casserole dish following the cooking instructions below.
- The lamb is done when it is soft and succulent. Taste sauce and adjust seasoning if needed (bearing in mind that it already has salt from the seasoned flour, mushrooms and beef stock).
Pressure cooker – Cook on high pressure for 1 hour 40 mins
Slow Cooker – Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours
Oven – Cook on 160 for 2 hours and then check them, you may need to cook for another 30-45 mins depending on your shanks and oven.
THICKENING THE SAUCE
- The sauce will be of a thinner style and you may wish to thicken it. Remove lamb and mushrooms out of the sauce (a slotted spoon may help) and skim off fat that has risen to the surface. Place cornflour in a small bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the cooking gravy. Mix well then add this mix back into the large gravy mix.
Pressure cooker – use the simmer function and cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally
Slow cooker, crank the heat to high and cook for 30 mins, stirring occasionally
Oven, cook on the stove top for 15 mins, stirring occasionally
- Once sauce has thickened, add lamb and mushrooms back in and serve with mash and green vegetables.