Strawberry & Vanilla SlicePRINT RECIPE
When assembling the slice, a dob of cream under the first pastry square may help secure it to the plate.
- 5 sheets of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Anathoth Farm Strawberry Jam
- fresh strawberries to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Lay a piece of defrosted puff pastry on a baking tray with a baking sheet. Prick the pastry with a fork many times and bake for approx. 10 minutes until the sheets are slightly golden brown.
- Remove cooked pastry from the oven and allow to cool. Repeat with the remaining sheets of puff pastry. Cut cooked sheets into 4 equal pieces (square) and set aside.
VANILLA PASTRY CREAM
- Heat milk in a saucepan about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and sugar until light in colour and thick in texture. Add cornstarch and salt, and mix until combined.
- Slowly pour half the hot milk into the creamed egg/sugar mixture, and mix together with a beater until well combined. Then add combined mixture back into the remaining hot milk in the saucepan. Whisk constantly until the bubbles disappear and cream turns into a deep yellow colour and thick consistency. Remove from the heat; add vanilla and butter. Transfer into a bowl and cover with a cling wrap. Put in the fridge until chilled and ready to use.
- Place pastry square on plate, spread with Strawberry Jam, top with vanilla pastry cream.
- Repeat with remaining pastry layers (8-10 layers); arrange fresh strawberry pieces on top.
- Put in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight to sit before serving (which will help the slice set and easier to cut).