Sweet & Sour TofuPRINT RECIPE
A delicious vegan-friendly dairy-free main for the whole family.
TIP: A batch of pickled carrots will be more than plenty and will last in the fridge for several weeks. Keep any leftovers for salads and sandwiches.
PICKLED CARROTS: 2 carrots, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp white sugar, 3/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup warm water
Peel carrots, top and tail the ends, then slice into fine matchstick sized strips (julienne). Sprinkle with salt and sugar; massage with your hands for a few minutes then set aside for 15 mins. After which time, squeeze off any excess liquid, rinse well under cold water and drain. Make a brine using white vinegar, sugar and warm water; mix well to dissolve. Chill and marinate carrots for one hour.
Recipe & Photo by Julie Legg: www.rediscover.co.nz • Facebook
- 300g tofu
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup broad beans, podded
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 cup Anathoth Farm Tomato Relish
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup pickled carrots
- sesame seeds, to serve
- Cut tofu into small cubes then drain on a paper towel. Dust with flour then in a heated fry pan with oil, fry until golden brown. Turn after 5 minutes and cook for another 5 mins. Repeat in batches if necessary until tofu is cooked.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a simmer then blanch broad beans for approx 5 minutes. Remove from heat, rinse under cold water, then drain. Set aside.
- Combine tomato relish, rice vinegar and soy sauce together in a small bowl. Mix well; set aside.
- Add blanched broad beans, red pepper and pickled carrots to frypan with tofu, then pour in sauce. Stir until well coated and heated through, approx 4-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds to serve. Enjoy!